Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
Clear All

ISC_FileLoader and load_skin.js: Loading of load_skin.js and skin_styles not optimal

Hi Isomorphic,

I try to get caching 100% right.
    In my plain login.html I use
    Code:
    <script type="text/javascript" language="javascript">var isomorphicDir = "lms/sc/";</script>
    <script type="text/javascript" language="javascript" src="lms/sc/modules/ISC_FileLoader.js"></script>
    <script type="text/javascript" language="javascript">FL.modulesDir = "modules/"; FL.defaultSkin = "Simplicity"; FL.cacheISC();</script>
    This results in calls to:
    Code:
    myproj/sc/skins/Simplicity/load_skin.js
    myproj/sc/skins/Simplicity/skin_styles.css?isc_version=v9.1p_2014-05-25.js

In my GWT Page (JSP, see hand-coded versionstring below) I have
    Code:
    <script type="text/javascript" src="myproj/sc/skins/Simplicity/load_skin.js<% out.print(version); %>"></script>
    This results in a call to:
    Code:
    /myproj/sc/skins/Simplicity/skin_styles.css

As you can see this results in four http hits, where it could have been two. Not really a problem, but a fix would be nice.

Could you
    • Have ISC_FileLoader call load_skin.js with the isc_version-parameter it already uses for the ISC-*.js-files and the skin_styles.css?
    • Have load_skin.js call skin_styles.css the with the isc_version-parameter FileLoader already uses?

Best regards,
    Blama

If you want to manually manage this, just use NoScript/NoTheme versions of the SmartGWT <inherits>.

Comment

I already do inherit com.smartgwt.SmartGwtNoScript in my .gwt.xml.

Therefore I'm calling the JavaScript ISC_FileLoader.js in my HTML Login code and the other ISC_*.js in my app-page.

I'm talking about the requests issued by the FileLoader and load_skin.js.

Best regards,
      Blama

Comment

We'll look at possibly improving this and whether there's an inconsistency in when the FileLoader adds versions to URLs, but to get the URLs consistent with current behavior:

1. remove the version from the load_skin.js tag you are writing out with your .jsp

2. modify your load_skin.js file so it includes the version in the URL to the .css file.

Comment

Hi Isomorphic,

I changed my build.xml to inject the current framework version in load_skin.js, as you suggested. This results in the correct URL (with version-parameter) for skin_styles.css.

I did not remove the version-tag in my main .jsp-file, as it is more important to me that the load_skin.js-file gets refreshed once it (might have) changed than to save the one http-hit on 1st call.

Did you examine if you think that ISC_FileLoader should load load_skin.js with a version-parameter as it does for the css file?
          Can you integrate the version string in the load_skin.js file from beginning with your build scripts?

Best regards,
          Blama

Comment

We've made a change to FileLoader and as of 10.0 it will correctly be adding the cache-busting parameter to load_skin.js as well as skin_styles.css when you call either loadISC() or cacheISC().

Regards
            Isomorphic Software

Comment

Hi Isomorphic,

thanks a lot. Will it be backported to 9.1 as well?

Best regards,
              Blama

Comment

No, the approach from post #4 above should be used for any previous version.

Comment

Hi Isomorphic,

I can confirm that after switching to 5.0p ISC_FileLoader always adds the version string.

With this, I can precache all needed data on the login-screen.

Just to let you know: I still have to inject the version string in load_skin.js's call to skin_styles.css (for my main page), though:

build.xml Ant task:
                  Code:
                  <replaceregexp file="theme/simplicity/public/sc/skins/Simplicity/load_skin.js" match="skin_styles\.css.*&quot;" replace="skin_styles\.css?isc_version=${sgwtee.buildversion}.js&quot;" byline="true" />
                  This is fine for me as it is already working, but you might want to change that nevertheless for the other users.

Thanks for the change & Best regards,
                  Blama

Comment

Hi Isomorphic,

adapting my changes to current Tahoe, I noticed this comment in my code.
                    This is still not solved for me in 6.1d.

Best regards
                    Blama

Comment

Working...
                    X