Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
Clear All

TIMESTAMP field in Oracle - usage in SmartGWT .ds.xml file

Hello Isomorphic,

I'm doing some calculations in the background using Oracle (11g) Stored Procedures. These SPs log their start- and endtimes in TIMESTAMP fields:

DDL:
    Code:
    	STARTDATE TIMESTAMP (5), 
    	ENDDATE TIMESTAMP (5),
    The DS Generator creates this .ds.xml:
    Code:
    	<field name="STARTDATE" [B]length="11" type="text"[/B] />
    	<field name="ENDDATE" [B]length="11" type="text"[/B] />
    Is this expected behaviour? I found this thread and thought that it might be an error. I'm using ojdbc6.jar with Apache Tomcat/7.0.50 and SmartGWT v9.1p_2014-10-29 under Win 8.1/Java jdk1.7.0_71.

MANIFEST.FM inside ojdbc6.jar says:
    Code:
    Manifest-Version: 1.0
    Ant-Version: Apache Ant 1.6.5
    Created-By: 1.5.0_51-b10 (Sun Microsystems Inc.)
    Implementation-Vendor: Oracle Corporation
    Implementation-Title: JDBC
    Implementation-Version: 11.2.0.3.0
    Repository-Id: JAVAVM_11.2.0.4.0_LINUX.X64_130711
    Specification-Vendor: Sun Microsystems Inc.
    Specification-Title: JDBC
    Specification-Version: 4.0
    Main-Class: oracle.jdbc.OracleDriver
    sealed: true

Name: oracle/sql/converter/
    Sealed: false

Name: oracle/sql/

Name: oracle/sql/converter_xcharset/

Name: oracle/replay/driver/
    Further Data Dictionary information:
    Code:
    select * from user_tab_cols where table_name = 'T_SYS_CALC_BACKLOG' AND column_name like '%DATE';

TABLE_NAME	COLUMN_NAME	DATA_TYPE	DATA_TYPE_MOD	DATA_TYPE_OWNER	DATA_LENGTH	DATA_PRECISION	DATA_SCALE	NULLABLE	COLUMN_ID	DEFAULT_LENGTH	DATA_DEFAULT	NUM_DISTINCT	LOW_VALUE	HIGH_VALUE	DENSITY	NUM_NULLS	NUM_BUCKETS	LAST_ANALYZED	SAMPLE_SIZE	CHARACTER_SET_NAME	CHAR_COL_DECL_LENGTH	GLOBAL_STATS	USER_STATS	AVG_COL_LEN	CHAR_LENGTH	CHAR_USED	V80_FMT_IMAGE	DATA_UPGRADED	HIDDEN_COLUMN	VIRTUAL_COLUMN	SEGMENT_COLUMN_ID	INTERNAL_COLUMN_ID	HISTOGRAM	QUALIFIED_COL_NAME
    T_SYS_CALC_BACKLOG	STARTDATE	TIMESTAMP(5)			11		5	Y	13			23	78720A1C0F1A012EABA1C0	78720A1C0F1A0202625A00	0,0434782608695652	6	1	28.10.14 20:39:42	30			YES	NO	10	0		NO	YES	NO	NO	12	13	NONE	STARTDATE
    T_SYS_CALC_BACKLOG	ENDDATE	TIMESTAMP(5)			11		5	Y	14			22	78720A1C0F1A013178CB80	78720A1C0F1A0202EBAE40	0,0454545454545455	14	1	28.10.14 20:39:42	22			YES	NO	8	0		NO	YES	NO	NO	13	14	NONE	ENDDATE
    Is the generation of type="text" expected behaviour? I did not find a timestamp-fieldtype that is more precise than datetime in the docs.

I know that I can display the values with a CustomSelectExpression and Oracle-CAST, but is this the way to go? Currently, this is fine for me as I only have to display data, but how about writing timestamps (with more than second-precision) from SmartGWT?

Thank you & Best regards,
    Blama

This is happening because of a quirk in the Oracle JDBC driver - for native TIMESTAMP columns, it returns a JDBC type of OTHER rather than TIMESTAMP. We can work around this by examining the rest of the metadata - the workround will be present in tomorrow's builds of 4.1p and greater.

If you need sub-second granularity, SQLDataSource can provide millisecond-level storage in native datetime/timestamp columns, but this support is only present in 5.1d. If that is an option for you, you would just need to enhance the auto-derived field in your .ds.xml file by adding the "storeMilliseconds" flag.

If you cannot move to 5.1 right now, consider using CHAR columns in the database combined with sqlStorageStrategy

Comment

Hi Isomorphic,

thanks for your answer.
      As I'm currently only displaying these values (generated by Oracle), this is fine for me for now. Once I start using 5.1p, I'll revisit this thread and think about amending all my creatortimestamp- and modifiertimestamp-fields with storeMilliseconds="true".

Great to see that you (or other clients) obliviously stumble over the same problems and you are solving them.

Best regards,
      Blama

Comment

Working...
      X