Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
Clear All

Hi, Blama - you seem to have blazed a trail for me to follow here as I am seeing exactly the same as you (Windows machine, I7-3643QM@2.2GHz, JDK 7, Samsung SSD 840 EVO, GWT 2.7, SuperDev Mode and a ~34s link time mostly spent emitting resources), but sadly the trail stops just as it was about to get interesting :-)

Did you find a solution to this problem? In all other respects my machine is licketty-split and I've also observed similar results on a different 8-core i7 @ 3.4GHz with Samsung SSD (I forget the exact specs).

If JDK 8 (or anything else) helped you out it would be really useful to know that before I spend any more time heading down the path that you have already taken...

Thanks in advance,
    Gary O'Donnell

Comment

Hello Gary,

I did not do any further testing here (still using Java 7). My assumption is still that it is related to the Windows filesystem, but I don't know as I switched back to normal DevMode for now.
      I'll test with a more powerful Win 10/Java 8 system in January and then report times here. Perhaps I'll also test using Ubuntu + ext4.

I'm pretty sure I'll keep using DevMode as long as possible, as SuperDevMode has other usability issues for me (mainly debugging in the browser not in the IDE).

Best regards
      Blama
      Last edited by Blama; 21 Dec 2015, 05:24.

Comment

Hi, Blama - Thanks for taking the time to respond,

Having got used to Chrome's debugger, I have really found Super Dev Mode to be faster and more useful than Dev Mode over the past 15 months or so that I've been using it. I've tried a couple of times in the past to move to GWT 2.7 to try out the incremental compilation, but it's been a while since I last got around to it and I was pleasantly surprised last week after I worked through some roadblocks and found it worked for me - only to be disappointed by the long link step!

Like you, I will also keep plugging away as and when I have time and will post any potential pointers I might come across that help me work around this. Thanks again!

Regards,
        Gary

Comment

Switching to use the G1GC garbage collector in the build file for the gwtc target made a big difference for me:
          <jvmarg value="-XX:+UseG1GC"/>

Comment

Working...
          X