Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
Clear All

IE 9 standards mode --> mouse clicks don't work

Hi,
    I have been testing ie 9 in standards mode (versus quirks mode). In standards mode it seems that mouse clicks don't work. Is this a known issue/thing? Is there a workaround/solution for this, has Smartclient been tested with ie 9 rc?

btw:
    - I am using a smartclient nightly build of beginning of january.
    - Smartclient works fine in ie 7/8 standards mode

gr. Martin
    Last edited by martintaal; 28 Feb 2011, 05:00.

We generally don't look into pre-releases. Too easy to spent forever on an investigation and workaround that turns out to be unnecessary.

Comment

Okay, then to be sure, Isomorphic plans to support standards mode also for ie 9?

gr. Martin

Comment

Historically, Standards mode for IE has always been slower and less capable than quirks mode, not really an implementation of web standards, and introduces the possibility of your application breaking in the future as Microsoft updates their attempts to implement standards (whereas quirks mode doesn't change)

So we may continue to recommend quirks mode. It depends on how good a job Microsoft has done with IE9.

Comment

Hi,
          I wonder though, for ie 7/8 Isomorphic supports standard mode (at least for us it works fine). Is this by accident or purposely done by Smartclient? Will the same apply to ie9?

What advice do you give for supporting certain browsers in standard mode and others in quirks mode?

The problem I am facing is that if I have different modes for different browsers than I need to create different css's also. I prefer not to go into this direction as you can imagine...

gr. Martin

Comment

We plan to support it for IE9, at the very least by setting the <meta> tags that cause the engine to behave like older IE versions, but we'd like to support it without such tags.

Whether we'll recommend it is still an open question. We certainly cannot recommend it for older IE, which will still be around for a long time.

You can use server-side switching and write out different DOCTYPEs if you really want to put different browsers in different modes.

As far as having to create different CSS, you don't need to do this anywhere you're using SmartClient components since they generally auto-compensate for DOCTYPE. For other content, there is no DOCTYPE that you can use that gives you any kind of consistent layout across IE and other browsers; this is why all web designers loathe Microsoft and is not something specific to SmartClient.

Comment

Working...
            X