Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
Clear All

No items to show in Visual Builder

I'm working with 8 read-only tables from an Oracle database. I can connect to the oracle server, and add the tables as datasources in visual builder. When I drag one of the datasources to a component in visualbuilder the field headers show up as expected. However, I always get "No items to show". Is this normal in visualbuilder, or should I be seeing data in VB?

Normally, a default fetch is performed (with no criteria), so you will see some data unless the table is empty or there was some kind of error.

Take a look at the server log - if there was an error, you'll see it there, and you will see the actual SQL query being performed against your table, so you can see why it's not returning data.

Comment

So I did this on a couple of releases of SC with the same result. It looks like things go badly after:

=== 2015-09-21 21:19:57,050 [80-2] INFO SQLDriver - [builtinApplication.STDNT_GRAD_APPLICANTS_fetch] Executing SQL query on 'INFO_ACCESS' using connection '466877379': SELECT COUNT(*) FROM STDNT_GRAD_APPLICANTS WHERE ('1'='1')
      === 2015-09-21 21:19:57,055 [80-2] INFO SQLDriver - [builtinApplication.STDNT_GRAD_APPLICANTS_fetch] Execute of select: SELECT COUNT(*) FROM STDNT_GRAD_APPLICANTS WHERE ('1'='1') on db: INFO_ACCESS threw exception: java.sql.SQLSyntaxErrorException: ORA-00942: table or view does not exist

The log file is attached.

This particular log was from SmartClient_SNAPSHOT_v101d_2015-06-02_Pro which I chose because that version has an sql browser tab in the adminConsole that correctly displays data from these tables. It's essentially the same log trace that I get from SmartClient_v100p_2015-09-16_Pro, which is the newest snapshot I have currently. The browser here is chrome running on Centos 7.
      Attached Files

Comment

There's an Oracle error message in there saying the table or view does not exist. So - do you see a reason for that? Is the table name we're using wrong? Perhaps the table in not visible to some users, and the credentials you used in the SQL Browser are different from the connection you set up for VB?

Comment

I seem to have the table name fixed. It needs to be prefixed by UW. (learned that from reading the log of a successful query from the sql browser)

Meanwhile I'm struggling with what looks like cacheing. The system seems to cache the failures so when I generate a broken datasource, no amount of editing of the data source will cause it to work. The solution seems to be to delete the datasource and create a new one from scratch. Is there a way to disable the server side caching of the results, or perhaps tell it to flush the cache? On the client side the safest practice seems to be to start from a new incognito window each time.

It's curious that the auto-generated query in the sql browser gets the right table name, but the datasource creation code that runs from visualbuilder Add -> new datasource drops the prefix in the generated datasource.

Comment

First - a big picture question - are you a developer? If so, why are you trying to use the wizards within Visual Builder? The QuickStart Guide explains the approaches for DataSource definition typically used by developers (autoDeriveSchema); Visual Builder is designed for non-developers.

Second, we have no code in the system that would do something like trim off some characters from a tableName. Again we suspect that something is odd with your database connection settings, such as, you are deriving DataSources while using one set of settings, then trying to access them using another (so, different schema, different user privileges, something like that).

Finally, no, there's no caching per se. The default settings will notice the DataSource has been changed on disk, and reload it. Nor is there caching that should require an Incognito window.

All in all, you're reporting a lot of bizarre things we've never had reported before, and for which we can't even come up with a plausible cause - we suspect there's something unusual about how you're running the software, which is hasn't occurred to you to mention..?

Comment

Working...
            X