No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
Clear All

ListGrid Grouping: load all data, show summary above horizontal scrollbar

Hi,
    I am testing listgrid grouping:
    - for listgrid grouping all data needs to be loaded in the client. What is your experience with a workable limit? I understand it always depends on things (no of columns, server side), but got a very rough estimate... I can consider 10000 records workable for client performance or less than that?
    - How limiting is the all-data-loaded requirement for practical cases in your experience?
    - In other posts, for the data limit you propose to use a treegrid, but as far as I understand, the children of a parent are not loadable in a paged manner, so if a parent has 20000 direct children then that would give problems also?
    - with me the summary row is shown below the listgrid horizontal scrollbar. Can I move it above the horizontal scrollbar somehow?

gr. Martin

Maximum number of records is very browser-dependent, with the worst browser being IE as usual. If IE8 is the earliest you need to support, 10,000 records is probably OK.

In general end users don't care / barely notice this maximum as it's unusual that a user would try to do something on a set of 10,000 records when filtering is available to create a more reasonably-sized list that is easier to work with.

Right, TreeGrids do not support paging within child sets. Another alternative is a ListGrid where the server is returning special "group" records at group boundaries.

There is no way to move the summary about the horizontal scrollbar and this wouldn't really make visual sense when both scrollbars are visible. However, it can be moved above the grid as a whole using listGrid.gridComponents.

Comment

Hi,
      To get to the alternative you mention, to return special group records at group boundaries. Has this been done before by Smartclient/Isomorphic?
      Can you give some more insight on how I can accomplish this?

Thanks!

gr. Martin

Comment

We simply meant returning additional records from the server and using the various formatting APIs to make these records look different (such as formatCellValue() and getBaseStyle()).

Comment

I was wondering about the same thing w/r group by and fetching all the data.

Most of our tables are reasonable in size < 2K rows but we have a set of tables that can grow very large > 100K that I worry customers may in fact try to do a group by on the list grid.

Is there a way to disable/hide the group by menu item for ListGrids I am concerned?

Thanks.

Comment

The menu item is disabled automatically (see listGrid.groupByMaxRows).

Comment

Perfect. Thanks. Sorry I did not see/discover that method as I just started looking into the group by use.

Comment

Working...
              X