Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
Clear All

Tahoe font problem in IE11

Hi Isomorphic,

please see this sample screenshot in IE11 (Win 7, SNAPSHOT_v11.1d_2017-03-17):
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Tahoe_font.png
Views:	150
Size:	19.7 KB
ID:	243568

As you can see there are some font problems.

Best regards
    Blama

Hello, same here, with the latest build.
    But there are also problems with the font in the samples, ie http://www.smartclient.com/smartclie...RulesNewSample

Name:	430429111_14025890491194829624.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	68.8 KB
ID:	243954

Comment

Hi Isomorphic,

this seems to be solved using SNAPSHOT_v11.1d_2017-04-14, at least in Edge. I'll retest IE11 as well.

Best regards
      Blama

Comment

Hi Isomorphic,

this still exists in SNAPSHOT_v11.1d_2017-04-17 with IE11 / Win 8.1 / all updates.
        I don't know if this was ever a problem with IE Edge, so my #3 might be misleading.

Best regards
        Blama

Comment

I'm seeing the same issue in the showcase with today's build (11.1p 2017-07-03). In tabs and ListGrid, I.E. 11 is not using the correct font. The image below shows Chrome vs. I.E. 11.
          http://www.smartclient.com/smartclie...id=columnOrder

Name:	Tahoe_Font_IE11.png
Views:	131
Size:	28.6 KB
ID:	245320

While viewing with Fiddler it looks like I.E. is not even trying to download the font files.

Comment

Hello, same here, IE 11.1358.14393.0

Comment

Originally posted by kylemwhite View Post
              I'm seeing the same issue in the showcase with today's build (11.1p 2017-07-03). In tabs and ListGrid, I.E. 11 is not using the correct font. The image below shows Chrome vs. I.E. 11.
              We don't see any issue from the screen shots. It's normal that a font can render at different sizes in different browsers, even if the pixel size in the CSS is the same. We've also seen such a difference in size between Firefox and Chrome, in some cases.

While viewing with Fiddler it looks like I.E. is not even trying to download the font files.
              Try again using the network tab of the F12 tools built into IE. We've looked at IE on Windows 7, 8.1, and 10, and in all cases all five fonts declared in the CSS @font-face declarations were loaded properly, and the DOM explorer verified that the font was calibri @ 15px.

Comment

Hi Isomorphic,

in the screenshots in #5 from kylemwhite I'm able to see that there are different fonts used. Have a look at the "D" from "countryData" or the "C" from "Continent" or the "N" from "North America".
                Chrome has a sans-serif font, while IE11 has a serif-font. Clearly different fonts are used and it is not just some font rendering / font antialias, font smoothing issue.

With your IE11 test systems, does the display look like the IE11 one in #5 as well?

Best regards
                Blama

Comment

Yes, it is clearly not just a rendering issue. IE is using a serif font which is completely different from the specified Corbel-bold and Calibri (which are both sans serif). After checking again, IE IS downloading the font files, it's just not using them because of a permissions issue.

I've tracked down the issue with the help of this StackOverflow post: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/...nt-face-in-ie9.

You can see the issue by navigating to the showcase example in IE 11 while using the dev tools Console tab.

Name:	Tahoe_Font_IE11_console.png
Views:	110
Size:	14.9 KB
ID:	245591

The solution that worked for me is the embed.exe tool that I downloaded (from the post) and ran on the corbel-bold.ttf font (for the tabs) and CALIBRI_1.ttf (for the grid). This indicates that the font files were not initially created with the installable embedding allowed flag set.

Apparently IE 11 is the only browser that respects this flag. Who knew?

Comment

Thanks for pointing this out. It appears that due to the problem you mention, corbel and calibri aren't used by IE11 in situations where they normally should be, affecting many samples. We've replaced those fonts with the proper versions and it does seem to ensure IE behaves as intended.

The next nightly builds for SC 11.1p and newer, dated 2017-04-06, should reflect that change.

Comment

Working...
                    X