Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
Clear All

Eastern locales in Showcase not working

Hi Isomorphic,

from getlocalization I can see that you have finished or almost finished translations for Japanese (ja), Chinese (Taiwan, Republic of China) (zh-TW), and Chinese (China) (zh-CN).
    While I can see Japanese in the Showcase on ListGrid rightclick this does not work for Chinese (fallback to English?)
    The showcase in Russian does not even load (blank page). Arabic does load as expected.

Can you have a look at this? I wanted to show the showcase to a colleague in different locales in order to assess that this is working for potential customer.

Do you have any recommendations w.r.t to the font to choose? It seems that Roboto does not display "Hello world"="你好世界" (Simplified chinese from google translate) when pasted in it's font-showcase. Calibri seems to work
    Same for Japanese ("こんにちは世界").

Thank you & Best regards
    Blama

The specific "ru" Russian locale hasn't been regenerated for a long time, but happens to still be in the repository - it makes a call to a method that was moved long ago, and that's why it crashes. We'll do something about this for tomorrow's builds.

You can use "ru_RU" and that works fine.

For the Chinese variants, just replace the "-" characters with underscores.

Comment

Hi Isomorphic,

you are right, ru_RU is working for me and just ru now loads en for me.
      Also zh_CN and zh_TW work as expected.

Another question (not urgent):
      I know that you have "RTL" for left-to-right languages in many css-selectors.
      If I open the Arabic showcase, the ListGrid context menu is left-aligned, though. Is this on purpose and correct?

Best regards
      Blama

Comment

If RTL were in effect, the entire UI should be RTL - in fact, the locales have never indicated a textDirection setting - in part because text-direction is script-specific, rather than locale specific - that is, numerous languages can be written in various scripts, Arabic/Hebrew -based ones, for example, being right-to-left and others not.

For now, we've added a language-pack setting, page_textDirection, which is set to rtl only for the "ar" locale. You can make changes for other locales in the normal way, at getlocalization.com.

If you want to test RTL out today, you can just add isc.Page.textDirection = "rtl" to the end of the frameworkMessages_ar.properties file.
        Last edited by Isomorphic; 23 Feb 2019, 09:39.

Comment

Hi Isomorphic,

the question in #3 was just out of interest, so this has no priority for me.

I just tested Arabic again in 12.0p and 12.1d (SNAPSHOT_v12.1d_2019-07-31) - it seems that the header context menu is still left aligned. From #4 it get that this is the only Locale, which already defaults to RTL. This does not happen for me.

Best regards
          Blama

Comment

Yes - we reverted this change almost immediately - it turns out, we can't 'emulate' switching rtl on and off at will in the page - the dir tag has to be set in the page body, because much of the work is handled by the browser.

Comment

Hi Isomorphic,

OK, thanks. And good too know if one ever wants to do this.

Best regards
              Blama

Comment

Working...
              X