Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
Clear All

SmartClient / SmartGWT docs or setter mismatch for ListGridField.canHide and others

Hi Isomorphic

creating this post I noticed that SmartClient ListGridField.canHide is marked as "IR" only (v12.0p_2022-03-31 and newer).
    The SmartGWT setter ListGridField.setCanHide() does not mention this.

Other setters like for ListGrid.alwaysShowOperatorIcon match here in SmartClient and SmartGWT (see the throws IllegalStateException exception there).

I have been using this setter in SmartGWT successfully after init, so I think the docs in SmartClient are wrong and should be IRW.

Can you have a look? A text search in the ListGridField docs for IllegalStateException shows that all setters (allowFilterExpressions, allowFilterOperators, ...) should work after init.

Best regards
    Blama

Hi Blama
    ListGridField.canHide is safe to update at runtime. It being marked as IRW rather than IR is basically wrong (apparently a result of us being overly cautious). We'll update the documentation.

On your question about Illegal state exceptions: ListGridFields differ from many other objects such as Canvases and FormItems in that they are never created in JavaScript as true SmartClient instances of a class - they are simple JavaScript configuration objects, wrapped for SGWT by the ListGridField class.
    As such they may not throw an exception when you invoke a setter on a property that is not marked as runtime-writeable. The documentation should be accurate though -- the lack of a "W" flag usually implies that there's some initialization logic that needs to run (for example when setFields is called or when a ListGrid is drawn) that isn't guaranteed to run if the attribute is changed at runtime, and as such updating the property at runtime may not behave as expected.

Comment

Hi Isomorphic,

I think I understand what you mean. I assume though that you mixed up IRW and IR in #2.

The only problem I can see for the future: If indeed some SmartClient-ListGridFields properties are IR only and you can't let SmartGWT-ListGridFields throw exceptions after init, then you need some method of documenting the IR-characteristic of SmartClient-ListGridFields in the SmartGWT docs. So far you are using the exception to convey this information to the user.

Best regards
      Blama

Comment

Working...
      X