Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
Clear All

Error in example

Please check this example: https://smartclient.com/smartclient-...GridComponents

After opening the page, type in "ideal" above the "Description" column and press Enter. The JavaScript development gives an error "Cannot read properties of null (reading 'type')". Then press the "Clear filter" button and retype "ideal" again. Now, it works. There's something wrong and I'm not sure if this has to do with some issues I'm seeing in my own code.

We did see this happen on the initial load but clearing the browser cache with a Ctrl-F5 corrected the issue.

Let us know if you continue to see an issue after trying that.

Comment

Yes that helps! :-)

I do have an issue with filtering and it behaved kind of similar, but it doesn't unfortunately.

Comment

You didn't mention your build date - but if it's not the latest build, and you have a similar issue in your application, we would recommend taking the latest build.

Comment

Hi Isomorphic,

Originally posted by Isomorphic View Post
          We did see this happen on the initial load but clearing the browser cache with a Ctrl-F5 corrected the issue.
          Out of interest (because I'm using the same cache breaker mechanism), how can this happen? You are loading the framework like this:
          Code:
          <SCRIPT SRC="../isomorphic/system/modules/ISC_Core.js?isc_version=v13.0p_2023-04-22.js"></SCRIPT>
          so a new version should result in an automatic new download?!

Best regards
          Blama

PS: I also saw the issue a few days ago, now I'm not seeing it anymore.
          Last edited by Blama; 24 Apr 2023, 00:52.

Comment

I don't have that version string behind it, so I might have a caching issue.

Comment

Wally, that's interesting, how are you checking the URL such that you don't have a version string attached? If you're doing this at SmartClient.com, that should be impossible. Perhaps you were looking with a tool that might omit the query parameter?

Note that HTTP proxies may be configured to aggressively cache resources even when a server says they are not cacheable. This tends to happen if network admins are trying desperate measures to fix a slow network, even if the behavior they introduce is incorrect and breaks sites.

Comment

I use a LGPL nightly build version in my project. It always has the same URL without version string. I didn't know of the approach mentioned above.

I hope my approach is allowed, I was under the impression it is, but reading the above messages I'm a bit confused. I'm still developing the application with this version of SmartClient. It's not used by my customer yet.

Comment

As a fundamental part of how the web works, if you upgrade your app, but the resources are still being fetched from the same URL, you my find that your users are using cached resources from a previous version of your app.

There is a part of the HTTP protocol for figuring out whether resources are up to date or stale. This isn't SmartClient-specific, this is just a general thing for any website or web app.

To understand your options, we would recommend starting with the following AI prompt:

"I have a web application that has a number of static resources such as JavaScript files. Every few months I need to update it. I want to maximize caching between updates, but when updates occur, I want to make sure every visitor gets them right away. What's the best approach?"

After having tried a number of possible prompts, this was the best in terms of guidance provided. We would recommend modifying this prompt to reflect your specific technology stack.

Comment

Thanks for the reply. Two questions:
                    1) I haven't used AI yet, but I assume you mean via chatgpt.openai.com?
                    2) Is the configuration I have allowed? (thus, downloaded LGPL version bundled with the application)

Comment

1) sure, ChatGPT works, and why not start there (it's one of the free ones), but, there are already a lot of other possible AIs to talk to, if you like

2) sadly, we do not control the web, so, there is no way for us to say whether your configuration is "allowed" or not. If we've misconstrued the question (like maybe it was a legal question?) please let us know

Comment

It was a legal question indeed.

Comment

Ah, ok!

So, there are all kinds of reasons why we cannot give legal advice on the forums. We actually wish we could, but.. lawyers.

Here's what we can say:

1) SmartClient LGPL is governed by the LGPL - the "Lesser GNU Public License" - this is a publicly available document that you, or your attorneys, can examine at your leisure

https://www.gnu.org/licenses/lgpl-3.0.en.html

2) there are other, very common, pieces of software, such as Hibernate, that also use the LGPL. If you look into where and how Hibernate is deployed, you can get an idea of how simple & permissive this license is. Given the example of Hibernate, many people have clearly concluded that it is safe to use LGPL software inside of a product or application.

Sorry to be so circumspect. Again, we genuinely wish we could provide clear guidance here. But... lawyers.

(we had to argue that this response was OK)

Comment

That answer is satisfying enough for me. ;-)

Comment

Working...
                            X