Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
Clear All

text shrinks in size when opening Chrome console

SmartClient Version: SNAPSHOT_v13.1d_2024-03-30/AllModules Development Only (built 2024-03-30)

Chrome 123.0.6312.87 on MacOS

Hello, I just noticed that with the latest builds, when I open the Chrome console, the text shrinks in size, both in the showcase and in my application.

Are you referring to opening Chrome's built-in Developer Tools, or opening the SmartClient Developer Console?

Either way this is bizarre.

Comment

yes, bizarre is the right word :) doesn't happen with Firefox or Safari

Click image for larger version

Name:	shrinks.gif
Views:	47
Size:	1.29 MB
ID:	272054

video: https://youtu.be/LbzJmLjn4vU

Comment

I just noticed that it happens only with Twilight skin, and after shrinking there's this WARN:

Code:
        The resource https://www-demos.smartclient.com/smartclient-latest/isomorphic/system/helpers/fonts/RobotoLight/Roboto-Light-Vivid.ttf was preloaded using link preload but not used within a few seconds from the window's load event. Please make sure it has an appropriate `as` value and it is preloaded intentionally.

Comment

Wow. Nice job isolating what's going on.

Judging by the error message, Chrome has some kind of weird heuristic where if you explicitly preload a font, but then don't immediately use it, Chrome decides you must not really have meant to preload that font, even though you said so.

This is the kind of thing the Chrome team does when they find that there are a bunch of poorly-constructed, high-profile pages that are all making the same error - in this case, preloading fonts they don't actually use. Here, they have implemented non-standard behavior on purpose to compensate for certain poorly constructed sites.

Since this is clearly a Chrome bug, Twilight-specific and only happens when you open Chrome's Developer Tools, we're not going to chase it further for now.

Comment

Hello, after some Chrome history cleaning, I dont' see it happening anymore

Comment

SmartClient Version: SNAPSHOT_v13.1d_2024-04-04/AllModules Development Only (built 2024-04-04)

Originally posted by claudiobosticco View Post
              Hello, after some Chrome history cleaning, I dont' see it happening anymore
              forget it :(

Now it's happening also with Shiva. And with Tahoe/Stratus it's happening in featureExplorer_exampleDescription and sourceEditor only

and I don't see the WARN about font preloading

I've also removed all chrome extensions
              Last edited by claudiobosticco; 4 Apr 2024, 05:38.

Comment

Note that the Showcase in particular loads all fonts that might be required by any of the default skins.

So the Chrome bug probably goes like this:

1) Chrome notices that a loaded font wasn't immediately used, and flags it somehow, possibly flagging it as one to defer loading, if the same page is accessed again

2) Chrome blows it, and somehow applies this font loading information to its built-in developer tools, causing the font to not be loaded at all in that context

Comment

Working...
                X