No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
Clear All

grid grouping for date field: strange behaviour on tablet/handset

Hello, while trying this sample with an iPad and an iPhone:
    https://www-demos.smartclient.com/sm...izeIncrease=10

I noticed a strange behaviour regarding grouping by ship date. The behaviour is a little different between the two types of devices.

Steps to reproduce on iPhone:
    1. open the header context menu and ungroup
    2. open the header context menu and tap "group by ship date" -> it will group by ship date (*)
    3. (*) if you instead tap the arrow-right icon of that menuItem, it will show the submenu, but tapping those options would not have an effect, no grouping is made

Steps to reproduce on iPad:
    1. open the header context menu and ungroup
    2. open the header context menu and tap "group by ship date" -> it will group by ship date (*)
    3. (*) but if you tap the arrow-right icon of that menuItem, it will show the submenu, and tapping those option will work.
    4. if, after grouping for week, for instance, you tap on the "group by ship date" menuItem (not on the arrow), it will show briefly the submenu and then the context menu will close without changing the grouping.

ok, I see that also on desktop, clicking on "group by ship date" will group by date, but as on desktop hovering the menu will open the submenu, this doesn't pose a usability problem

Comment

You can also long touch to trigger the menu.

So overall, are you happy with the behavior, and the only issue is the niggle of the menu briefly appearing and then disappearing?

Comment

Hello, actually I'm also worried that having to touch the submenu arrow to open the submenu isn't intuitive for everybody. I think that would be easier to use if, on touch devices, the tap on the "group by ship date" menuItem opens the submenu.

and yes, I use long touch to trigger the menu, but then I tried long touch on the "Columns" menuItem to see if that makes a difference when there's a submenu, but it triggers a strange behaviour:
        https://youtube.com/shorts/imGKMlr9zYQ?feature=share

Comment

Originally posted by claudiobosticco View Post
          and yes, I use long touch to trigger the menu, but then I tried long touch on the "Columns" menuItem to see if that makes a difference when there's a submenu, but it triggers a strange behaviour:
          https://youtube.com/shorts/imGKMlr9zYQ?feature=share
          the long touch seems to trigger this anomaly on every menuItem which has a submenu, for instance those in menusMobileSample. Try to tap and hold, you'll see it when you release the touch.

Comment

with the latest improvements you made to the menu behaviour on touch devices https://forums.smartclient.com/forum...033#post273033
            the usability is greatly enhanced.

It just remains the strange behaviour described in posts #4 and #5.

Comment

We have resolved the strange animation behavior from posts #4 and #5 (assuming you're reporting only one issue). We also fixed the iPhone problem from your first post in this thread, where selecting a specific type of grouping from the submenu does nothing.

What you report on the iPad is not a bug. To see this more clearly, imagine that the date field called "Ship Date" was actually just called "Foo." The menuItem would then be "Group by Foo" with a submenu for grouping in a specific way. The reason clicking "Group by Foo" does nothing if you've already grouped via a submenu selection is that it's already grouped by Foo...so nothing to do.

These fixes will be in the nightly builds dated 2024-07-31 and beyond.

Comment

SmartClient Version: SNAPSHOT_v13.1d_2024-08-01/AllModules Development Only (built 2024-08-01)

I see it's fixed, thank you very much

Comment

Working...
                X