Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
Clear All

skinEditor best practice: how to maintain a skin up-to-date

Hello, a doubt about the skinning using the skinEditor.

I usually try to stay up-to-date with the latest SmartClient fixes with the nightly builds.

If I customize one of SmartClient's skin, export it and put it in my application, then what's the best practice to maintain it updated in respect to possible fixes/enhancements/new features added to the base skin?

We plan to add a doc section on this, but the simplest thing is to ensure that you don't make any chances to the files that are exported - just keep any JS settings or CSS changes in separate files. Then, you can just export the skin and replace all exported files with no merging or other issues.

Comment

for a better context, see also my other post: https://forums.smartclient.com/forum...131#post273131

thanks in advance for the doc addition.

I obviously won't make changes to the exported files.

But I was actually thinking of how to find changes (in the latest builds) regarding the base skin which I will use. I mean, which files I'll have to check for changes, for example. It would suffice to check load_skin.js, skin_styles.css and the svg files?

Also, I've still not checked if the load_skin.js and skin_styles.css are actually modified by the skin editor or are equal to those of the base skin. If not, as I'm not versioning those files in git, I'll have to keep a local copy of the base version build.

Comment

Honestly, rapid changes are still occurring, in part thanks to your feedback.

If you want to be able to see the changes in the base skin as they occur, yes, you would want to check all 3 of those files, depending on which changes you are trying to track.

Comment

Working...
        X