Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
Clear All

Pick List Search Clears Previous Fields

Whenever I use the search control in a pick list (combo box), it clears the selections. Is there any way to change this behavior? I need to be able to search for items and select them, and have my selections added to pre-existing ones.

You seem to be possibly looking for MultiComboBoxItem.

Comment

Originally posted by Isomorphic View Post
      You seem to be possibly looking for MultiComboBoxItem.
      Thanks. This control's pretty sweet, but I need the selection behavior of the multiSelect with the filter. Namely, I need these two:

http://isomorphic.com/#multiSelect
      http://isomorphic.com/#comboFilterRelated

Here's what I did:

Code:
      isc.DynamicForm.create({
         numCols:1,
         fields : [{
              multiple: true,
             	editorType: "SelectItem", 
             	optionDataSource: myDataSourceID, 
      	displayField: myDisplayField, 
      	valueField:myValueField,
      	pickListProperties: {
      		showFilterEditor:true
      	},
      	pickListFields: myPickListFields
          }]
      });
      Here's what's happening, with the selection state in {}:

Code:
          1. Select a,b,c.  {Selections=a,b,c}

2. Select d.  {Selections=a,b,c,d}

3. Search for e then select it.  {Selections=e}
      #3 should be {Selections=a,b,c,d,e}

Is there any way I can get this?

Comment

MultiComboBoxItem is the way to do this. Even if what you're attempted worked it would be bad UI, since the user wouldn't be able to see his other selections, and would have to potentially use search to find them.

Comment

I am trying to do the same thing in that the ComboBoxItem nicely allows for multiple select when the field is defined as multiple.

In one case we have lots of data tied to the ComboBoxItem as it is a foreign key field and the ComboBox multi-select shows a picker with 3 fields to allow for some filtering on it. We have a type field shown in the picker so they can select type "A" and select a couple of records but then if you select type "B" to select a couple of other records the previously selected type "A" records are wiped out (not selected any longer).

We are happy using the ComboBoxItem and would prefer to use it since it allows for multiple selections at once and does not change the UI like the Multi ComboBox does.

Also this same item is used in our FilterBuilder so I am not sure what impact it would have if the FilterBuilder was using a Multi ComboBox or even if it can use it?

Thanks.

Comment

We're having trouble understanding your post..

The thread was started by someone trying to do multi-select with a *SelectItem* and we explained that that doesn't work and won't be made to work because it's bad UI.

You refer to multiple select with a ComboBoxItem - but this widget does not support multiple selection. Only MultiComboBoxItem does.

So we don't really understand what you're referring to as far as your current usage.

As far as providing a searchable multiple selection control in a compact role like a FilterBuilder, one approach is to just launch a dialog from a FormItemIcon instead of trying to do everything inline.

Another would be a custom control that displays the currently selected items separately from the PickList, but only shows them when the PickList is showing (within the pickList in a separate region, next to it, etc). Aside from building it yourself, Feature Sponsorship would be one way to get such a control.

Comment

My mistake in saying ComboBoxItem. I should have been saying SelectItem.

That withstanding, the same applies w/r SelectItem.

For example, here is a series of 3 screen grabs where when I open the select item, I select 2 items and they appear up in the field, while in the same selection (did not close and reopen) I change the filter column "Type" (again previous selection still appears above). When I then select a record the previous selected values vanish and only the newly selected record(s) appear.

This is all within the same opened picker, that is, I did not close it and reopen it.

Basically if the currently selected values do not appear in the list when another record is picked, the non-visible selected records no longer are selected.
              Attached Files

Comment

Right, see above: filtering and multiple selection are mutually exclusive, because that's bad UI: the user can't see all his selections and would potentially have to page through data or search for them in order to de-select items.

That's why the options for combining search and multiple selection are:

1. MultiComboBoxItem

2. some kind of custom control or dialog where the user can access current selections without having to search for them

Comment

Understood. My only case of this within the FilterBuilder (which is where those screen grabs are from).

I will have to look into a custom control/dialog it seems.

Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                  X