No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
Clear All

ComboBoxItem problem on tablet

SmartClient_v100p_2014-12-13_Pro
    Ipad Safari, IOS 8.1.1

When you select a ComboBoxItem on a tablet, the entire screen is replaced with a list of options to select from, however there is no way to enter a free text value.

The idea of using the entire screen to display a select list is good on a 4" display but it is not a pleasant user experience on a 10" screen. Especially when there are only a few values and they appear as small text items in the top left corner of the screen. I would encourage Isomorphic to review the design of SelectItem and ComboBoxItem as applied on a 10" tablet.

regards,
    Andrew

We're not sure what you mean about "no way to enter a free text value" - you may be looking at the SelectItem instead of the ComboBoxItem - see the Mobile samples and compare each behavior.

As far as whether it's appropriate to the screen size, that differs by how much data you want to display. Many mobile apps use the whole screen to display results that consist of multiple separate data values, or include images. You can choose which mode to use via the pickListPlacement setting.

Comment

Firstly, thank you for pointing out the "pickListPlacement" setting. I wasn't aware of this and it will resolve my problem. Sometimes the sheer number of options in SmartClient can be a little overwhelming, but this is a good thing.

Secondly, I am not confusing SelectItem with ComboBoxItem. A ComboBox is normally rendered as an editable text field with a down-arrow on the right.

When "pickListPlacement" is set to "nearOrigin" then you can set focus to the text field and enter any text you like, or you can click the down-arrow and choose from a list.

When "pickListPlacement" is set to "fillScreen" however, you cannot set focus to the text field and add your own text - all you can do is select from the full-screen list. This behavior is the same for both tablets and desktops.

The behavior of the mobile Combo Box is certainly different to the Select LIst. When you select a Combo Box you get a different filter above the list but at no point do you get any place to enter your own field value.

Andrew

Comment

It looks like you haven't noticed the addUnknownValues:false setting shown in the sample.

Comment

Yes, you're quite right.

However I think that it is a mistake to expect people to enter unknown values into a field labeled "Search", especially when that field also acts as a filter. This behavior not only escaped me and my co-workers but also our customers. It is not obvious.

Andrew

Comment

?? That's how ComboBoxItems that allow new entries have worked in applications since the concept of a comboBox was introduced. If you're worried about the hint text being confusing, change it to whatever you like.

If you prefer something more explicit, you can add a FormItemIcon that looks like a plus button, and launch a dialog or similar for a different text entry experience. This is what is generally done if adding a new entry involves filling out multiple fields rather than just providing one piece of text.

Comment

Working...
            X