Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
Clear All

Using a FormItem without DynamicForm

Hi,

We have a particular need where we require the formatting features offered by
    some FormItem component (spinner, masks, etc), but don't want to rely on the
    built-in field layout that comes with DynamicForm.

The situation is that we have a legacy HTML file which already does the layout
    of the fields inside an HTML <TABLE> with fields inside some of its <TD> elements.

I want to leverage SmartClient's field formatting functionality, without the need to
    change the form layout mechanism of that legacy page.

The only way I found was to have one field per DynamicForm or use the
    somewhat undocumented DynamicForm.makeInlineItem() ... The problem
    with both these approaches is that my page's rendering is very slow due
    to the large amount of fields nested within that table.

By the way, these fields will not need to get submitted thru any form, hence
    what I would have liked to use are non FORM-based versions of the input
    controls within the SmartClient framework ...

Any other ideas on how I could achieve something similar but which would
    render faster in the browser?

Thanks in advance for your help and support!

Is this 50+ items? If not, then it's suspicious that it would be slow even on older browsers.

Regardless, if every item is logically independent, consider replacing the original HTML form items only selectively, where it matters most.

Comment

Yes. It's 50+ items. It's an HTML table for which the layout is rendered by some legacy JSP
      page but we want to have the actual input boxes inside each TD to look like the rest of the application (formatting, etc).

We'll go over our design and see if we could only enable this for a shorter amount of cells. If not,
      we'll use custom lightweight JS to mimic smartclient behavior as close as possible ... :-(

Thanks,

Comment

The more direct method may simply be to replace the legacy JSP's layout with a DynamicForm-based layout?

Comment

Sorry for the late follow-up ...

This JSP code is not actually ours. It's a third party framework which we're embedding
          inside our main application via an IFRAME (HtmlPane). Having it rewritten using pure ISC would
          be ideal performance/feature wise but would also close all doors to future updates
          for that particular framework. For that reason, we opted to use minimum/lightweight JS
          for that IFRAME's content (small JS code footprint) which links back to the parent frame
          containing the main application and the full ISC framework. Works fine and we're
          quite happy with the end result.

Thanks for any input and suggestions. As always, greatly appreciated.

Comment

Working...
          X