Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
Clear All

textarea / richText usage problems

I have two problems. The first one is that the richText editor is suddenly not working. The toolbar has quit displaying and the text doesn't wrap, enter key is blocked (just makes the computer beep), and html code shows up. No code had been changed on this page in quite some time... it just started acting weird.

The second issue is critical and happens even if I just use a plain textarea instead. This issue is occuring on a dynamic form and I am using RC2 and IE (v6 unfortunately... it's a NAVY computer so I have no choice). The problem is that add record works fine but when I use the saveData function, I get an error that only shows in the developer console which says...

13:00:54.986:MUP5:WARN:DynamicForm:editForm:saveData() called on a non-databound DynamicForm. This is not supported. for information on databinding of components look at the documentation for the DataSource class. If this was intended to be a native HTML form submission, set the canSubmit property to true on this form.

The relevent code follows:

Here is the data source.
    Code:
    isc.RestDataSource.create({
      ID:"newsTableDS",
      dataFormat:"json",
      fetchDataURL:"/newsTableOps.asp",
      addDataURL:"/newsTableOps.asp",
      updateDataURL:"/newsTableOps.asp",
      removeDataURL:"/newsTableOps.asp",
      fields:[
        {name:"ID", primaryKey:true, hidden:true, type:"integer"},
        {name:"PurposeCode", type:"text", hidden:true, length:4},
        {name:"Subject", title:"Subject", type:"text", length:60, required:true},
        {name:"DatePosted", type:"date", hidden:true, length:10},
        {name:"DateExpires", type:"date", useTextField:true, required:true},
        {name:"Contents", type:"text", length:8000, required:true},
        {name:"ActiveItem", type:"boolean", hidden:true}
      ]
    });
    Here is the dynamic form and the save button code used for the add and resave functions.

Code:
    isc.VLayout.create({
      top:102, left:268,
      width:497,
      edgeSize:3,
      showEdges:true,
      members:[
        isc.DynamicForm.create({
          ID:"editForm",
          width:490,
          numCols:4,
          colWidths:['*',250,'*',110],
          canSubmit:true,
          fields:[
            {name:"Subject", title:"Subject", type:"text", length:60, width:245},
            {name:"DateExpires", title:"Expires", type:"date", lenght:10, width:110, useTextField:true},
            {name:"Contents", title:"Contents", type:"richText", colSpan:4, width:"*", height:300,
              controlGroups:["styleControls", "formatControls", "insertControls"]
            }
          ]
        })
      ]
    });

isc.Button.create({
          ID:"resaveBtn",
          title: "reSave Item",
          styleName:"cssButton",
          autoDraw:false,
          width: 96, height:18,
          showDisabled: true,
          click : function () {

editForm.saveData(function(dsResponse, data, dsRequest) {
              newsList.deselectAllRecords();
              newsList.selectRecord(data);
              editForm.editSelectedData(newsList);
            });

}
        })

isc.Button.create({
          title: "Save As New",
          ID:"saveNewBtn",
          styleName:"cssButton",
          autoDraw:false,
          width: 96, height:18,
          showDisabled: true,
          click : function () {

if (editForm.validate()) {
              newsList.addData(editForm.getValues(), function(dsResponse, data, dsRequest) {
                newsList.deselectAllRecords();
                newsList.selectRecord(data);
                editForm.editSelectedData(newsList);
              });
            }

}
        })
    I am including all the usual code modules including the richText one. As I said, the rich text stuff WAS working and then quit with no code changed in weeks...

Any ideas would be much appreciated, especially concerning the saveData issue. Oh yeah, the save issue has been there all along and did not suddenly change as the richText issue has.
    Last edited by rodrich; 8 Feb 2010, 11:15.

What *did* change? Was the standard browser upgraded, patches installed, or similar? Clearly, something changed.

The pre-existing form issue is as-described - add a DataSource to cause the form to use the DataSource to save, otherwise, set canSubmit to cause the form to do a form submission that looks exactly like a plain HTML form.

Comment

The standard security patches have been installed that would affect the browser but there were no changes to the web page code.

I had failed to notice that there was no declared datasource on the dynamic form because the add record functionality was working just fine. But IT refers to the listgrid which does have it declared while the saveData refers only to the form. Adding the datasource to that fixed that problem. Thanks for spotting that. It has eluded me for weeks!

Now if I can just figure out what is keeping the the editor from working....
      Last edited by rodrich; 8 Feb 2010, 12:30.

Comment

There's not a lot with can do with so little information. At a minimum, we'd need to see the exact version string for the browser and OS, before and after, and the code that behaves differently.

Comment

Just a thought here.... when I look at the Feature Explorer for the HTML editing, it says that I need the Smart Client RichTextEditor Module which is apparently an added cost item and I am using the LGPL version. Is this true for the richText item type in a dynamic form also? I am thinking that perhaps I was using something that was for demo only and has timed out or something perhaps? That would explain the behavior if so....

Comment

Ok, looks like when I played around with various rich text editor products including yours and then forgot that yours was an optional product. Question then becomes, does it time out after a 60 day eval (that would explain the behavior) and if so, is it possible to buy that module as a seperate product or do I have to buy a certain license for a product level that included that. I don't see it listed as a feature on any of the license level stuff so I am not sure what I downloaded to have that module to have messed with during my testing of editors. I know the library version for everything else is the RC2 candidate of the LGPL version.

Ok, on further investigation I see that it exists in the RC2 candidate zip file but on the SDK side only, not the runtime. I also see that the form item RichTextItem is a widget on the run time side of the plate. So IS the RichTextItem part of the LGPL version or is it not. I am confused. And if it is, does it get included in the standard set of includes? I have the full RichTextEditor.js in my includes but that doesn't seem to exist on the runtime side of things, nor do I know if that needs to be there to use the RichTextItem as a field type in a dynamic form. I am sooo confuuuuused.
            Last edited by rodrich; 8 Feb 2010, 15:20.

Comment

Much as we'd like you to buy a license (or support), we have to admit, the RichTextEditor is free and what you're seeing in terms of where the files appear in the download is a packaging error related to how the website puts together LGPL packages for download. We'll fix the problem, however, it's fine for you to use the RichTextEditor module from the "development" directory. It does not expire, so that's not the reason you've had this sudden glitch.

It's still not clear what the cause is and we don't have any information from you that would allow us to try to reproduce the problem, but, to get this solved in a hurry, the best thing to do is purchase one of our support packages. At the Premium level, this will allow us to do over-the-shoulder troubleshooting via web conference.

Comment

Ok, I discovered what changed. I went from RC1 to RC2. In RC1, the RichTextEditor stuff exists in the runtime and in RC2 it does not. When I switch back to RC1 it all works. That explains why it is failing.

On investigation, I find that there are 9 ISC_RichTextEditor.whatever files and 9 RichTextEditor.whatever files in RC1 and only 5 of the ISC_RichTextEditor.whatever files and 9 RichTextEditor.whatever files in RC2. So some files vanished in your build of RC2.

Amended: When I say there are files missing, I mean that the files in RC2 that should be in the system/modules directory for the ISC_RichTextEditor are missing. I tried copying the ones from the system/development directories into the module directories but that just causes a crash in the editor. Specifically I get an error in the development console and in the app which says that the isc.HiddenFrame.$221 is not an object in line 84. (It appears that reference is actually happening in line 83 of the source).
                Last edited by rodrich; 9 Feb 2010, 10:47.

Comment

I have the same issue, when I want to use RichTechEditor in LGPL :-(.

Comment

Working...
                  X