Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
Clear All

Export RPC tab in Developer Console

It would be neat if the developer console RPC tab has the built in "Export to Excel/XML" feature on it. We can then export transactions (all or selected lines) with RPCRequest & RPCResponse information and investigate issues offline.

Totally super neat would be to have this feature outside the Developer Console: so when a user reports an issue in our application, we could pull up this info as file attachements without the user needing to see or know anything about the dev console (I guess it would imply to "set track RPCs" in such a 'debug' mode).

I have yet to discover if it is possible to easily extend the Developer Console e.g. to add our own debug tabs or if I could add such an export button myself.

Interesting idea about exporting the RPC data, although this is mostly a convenience over copy & paste, and is tricky to add to the framework since export may not be available in a given deployment.

You could add your own function to capture information similar to the RPC tab, via APIs like DataSource.transformRequest(). We would definitely recommend enabling something like this only in a "debug" mode. For reference, the low-level intercept code we use for the Developer Console feature is in RPCManager.js (search for trackRPC) but has no supported APIs.

You can extend the Developer Console by just adding more SmartClient JavaScript code to Log.html. For instance the main TabSet has an ID of "mainTabset" and you could add your own Tab with additional tools. Here again, there isn't currently a supported extension API, but something like adding a tab is unlikely to break in the future (or would be easy enough to fix).

If you wanted some features in this area (like a supported way to capture all RPC traffic, or an extension API for the Developer Console), these would be valid Feature Sponsorships.

Comment

Working...
    X