Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
Clear All

Allow FormItem hints to display above, below, etc...

Presently the setHint method of a FormItem encapsulates the hint, and its FormItem, within in a table, where the first <td> holds the form item, and the second <td> holds the hint. So the hint always displays to the right and not even a CSS workaround can fix that, unless you get really crazy with absolute positioning.

I've seen some requests to allow the hint to be displayed below the form item, such as below a text box or text area.

This is a request to add a method like .setHintLocation() that accepts an enum of locations such as ABOVE, BELOW, RIGHT, LEFT.

For example, if setHintDirection is BELOW you could add a <div> that encapsulates the hint allowing it to appear below the text item. LEFT would simply move the order of the <td> elements, and ABOVE would move the <div>...

Thanks!
    -Becky

That's an interesting enhancement, but note that you can approximate these other placement options using a BlurbItem in the next or previous row, or previous column.

Comment

BlurbItem - that could serve as a good workaround!

I wouldn't discount this request, though, because hints are a part of the FormItem's object and it allows you to keep the hint associated with the instance, as opposed to new'ing up a separate BlurbItem object. That association is most useful to those that are dynamically generating their form items. Also when a form item is hidden its hint is probably also hidden, whereas you'd have to manually hide an associated BlurbItem.

But that said I think you've given me a good option to work with and appreciate the response.

Thanks guys,
      -B
      Last edited by beckyo; 12 Feb 2014, 16:14.

Comment

We're not discounting the request, just giving you the best approach that works right now.

This would be a valid Feature Sponsorship - for you or anyone who happens to find this thread. It's unlikely to happen for a couple of releases without a sponsor (too many other high value features queued up to work on).

Comment

Working...
        X