Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
Clear All

SmartGwtMessages, 99translations and unicode escape sequences

Hi,
    I'd like to contribute with the italian localization of SmartGWT.
    I've found your project on 99translations, and I have started to correct some entries, but I don't know how to correctly submit localizations providing particular characters like the corresponding of HTML entities à (à) or è (è).
    In fact, I noticed the actual localization (in 99translations editor) shows something like \u00E8 (which stands for è), but this is reflected on the corresponding .properties as a (double-backslash escaped) \\u00E8, hence showing the entire escape sequence \u00E8 at runtime (at least for my utf8 web application).

So my question is: should I edit the italian localization in 99translations replacing the \u00E8 escape sequence with the proper character? (for instance in the 99translations editor the entry \u00E8 nullo would become è nullo)
    Could this lead to problems for other users?

Many thanks.
    Davide
    Last edited by d.cavestro; 16 Dec 2010, 05:57.

(GWT) allows for UTF-8 and therefore allows properties files to contain Unicode characters directly.
    See GWT's i18n Dev Guide.

It would be nice to have the same convention followed consistently in a given resource bundle file.

Comment

Originally posted by smartgwt.dev
      See GWT's i18n Dev Guide.

It would be nice to have the same convention followed consistently in a given resource bundle file.
      I completely agree.

So I could replace all unicode escape sequences in the italian localization file with the corresponding utf8 character, especially because I'm not sure 99translations correctly manages escapes (I always end up with double back-slashed sequences: I think it should be used to escape a backslash, but please correct me if I'm wrong). There are no other localizations using the escape sequence.
      Instead utf8 chars have already been used in the italian bundle file.

Another strange thing I noticed is that the Argentine localization seems completely filled with the same escape sequences: that puts me in doubt if the .properties have to be somewhat post-processed to remove the double backslash (but I see your distribution .properties comes with the wrong escape). Or maybe there's something else I don't understand.
      To get worse and worse I cannot find any explanation for this topic on 99translations.

So, could you please set the whole matter straight? Then I will be very happy to readjust the italian localization (if you agree).

Cheers
      Davide

Comment

ar is the locale abbreviation for Arabic, and not Argentina like the flag icon on 99translations suggests. We'll look into the double slash issue (it was user contributed) but please go ahead and replace all unicode escape sequences in the italian localization with utf-8 characters.

Comment

Working...
        X