Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
Clear All

Disabled DF with properties: copy text

Hi Isomorphic,

is it possible to have "disabled DynamicForm", but that the user can select and copy text?

Code:
                DynamicForm dF = new DynamicForm() {
                    {
                        setCanEdit(false);
                        setDataSource("animals");
                        setReadOnlyDisplay(ReadOnlyDisplayAppearance.DISABLED);
                        setCanSelectText(true);

TextItem ti = new TextItem("commonName");
                        setFields(ti);

fetchData(new AdvancedCriteria(new Criterion("commonName", OperatorId.STARTS_WITH, "El")));
                    }
                };
    Although I use "setCanSelectText(true)", I can't select and copy the text. That's first DF on this foto:
    Click image for larger version  Name:	canCopyText.PNG Views:	2 Size:	7.1 KB ID:	255279

For other two cases with the same properties, I can select and copy text but I can't use those two cases in my app.

If I use "ReadOnlyDisplay:READONLY", then it looks that user can edit forms and because I have a lot of forms, that would be confuzing for users. So I can't use this solution.

If I use "ReadOnlyDisplay:STATIC",that's also bad solution because forms should always look the same, when user can or can not edit it. And if I use FormItemIcon, the position of it changes:
    Click image for larger version  Name:	dfs_app.PNG Views:	1 Size:	23.5 KB ID:	255283
    (Left is STATIC, right is DISABLED)
    This is bug definitly but not important for me.
    I just need that with "ReadOnlyDisplay:DISABLED" and "CanSelectText:true" user can select and copy the text.

Best regards
    Pavo
    Attached Files
    Last edited by pavo123; 27 Sep 2018, 02:08.

We’re just matching behaviors and appearances that are standard across browsers here. If you don’t like those standard behaviors, probably your best choice is to re-style the readOnly appearance so it’s slightly lighter. But just a note that this may cause users to expect the standard “disabled” behavior and not try to interact with the control at all, since disabled controls normally disallow interactivity entirely.

Comment

Hi Isomorphic,

some customers are requiring to copy text from "disabled DF", so that's not a problem.
      How to re-style the readOnly appearance?

If I use "READONLY" then it's not clear which DF you can edit or not.

Click image for larger version

Name:	canEditOrNot.PNG
Views:	51
Size:	3.5 KB
ID:	255300

In my app, I have a lot of DFs in the same Layout. Depending on some conditions, customer can sometimes edit some DF and sometimes not, so I have to use "ReadOnlyDisplay:DISABLED" to be perfectly clear which DF user can edit or not.
      Or I can use as you said "ReadOnlyDisplay:READONLY" but that needs to look the same as "ReadOnlyDisplay:DISABLED".

Best regards
      Pavo

Comment

So again, you trying to change appearance that are standardized across browsers. That's fine, you can do that if you like. How styling is accomplished for FormItems is already well-documented - go ahead and take a look, especially at the *Style() properties and the FormItemBaseStyle overview.

Comment

Working...
        X