Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
Clear All

Tabs on desktop vs mobile

Hi, we just started looking at re-doing at least parts of our desktop app to make it work better on mobile.

The root of it is currently a tabset. I looked at the mobile development page but couldn't find whether or not this is possible:

I would like for the tabset to have tabs on the right and content on the left as our app currently works on desktop, but on mobile devices i want the tabs to take up the entire screen and the user having to click through and then back to select another tab. Is this possible out-of-the-box or do i have to code this using a split pane somehow?

Ponters would be appreciated, thanks.

Please read the Mobile Development overview. You have to "code" this using SplitPane, but all you have to do is place your tabset and content in the two panes and all the rest is automatic, including built-in navigation between panes that automatically appears on mobile. So it's just a replacement for the HLayout you are presumably using now.

Comment

Hey, thanks for responding quickly. I have read but will read again.

One thing: I just tried your showcase, and it works *just* as i want :) with the exception that i dont want the navtree to the left but simple tabs. I'll read the mobile again and find where it addressses that, thanks.

Comment

Hi again,

i have looked around in the mobile dev overview and checked out SplitPane and your showcase source code, and i'm not sure how to do it with a tabset. Some pointers would be great:

In the showcase, you add a navbartree to the left, and content (tabset and tabs) to the right of the splitpane. You then handle clicks and creation of canvases yourself when the navtree is navigated.

But for a tabset, the content is part of the component, i.e. i call "addtab" and the content (which i want to be on the right side of the split pane). How to i add the tabset to the left, but tell the tabset that the tabs go into the right part of the splitpane?

Comment

This doesn't make sense to us - the left side of the screen has just the horizontal tabs, and the right side the content of the selected tab? That's obviously terrible, so what do you really mean?

Comment

No, we're going to use vertical tabs, of course. I have solved it now though, by putting in buttons instead and handling all the event logic myself, which seems to be the only way.

Below is a mockup of what we're trying to accomplish. As you can see, this is why i'm asking about getting all three components in horizontal mode in the split pane in another thread on the forum. Our goal is that this looks like in the screenshot in desktop, but with a navigationpane in handset mode...

Click image for larger version

Name:	mockup.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	191.2 KB
ID:	259133

Comment

Working...
            X