Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
Clear All

ComboBoxItem, DataArrivedHandler and defaultValue

SmartClient Version: v9.1p_2014-06-04/Pro Deployment (built 2014-06-04)

We have a ComboBoxItem with an optionDataSource/optionOperationId, for field "calendar" (see DS field below).

A DataArrivedHandler handler is added to the ComboBoxItem.

autoFetchData is FALSE.

Code:
            <field name="calendar" foreignKey="calendar.id" canFilter="false" displayField="calendarName" type="text" defaultValue="1"></field>
    When clicking the picker icon, the fetch occurs and a DataArrivedEvent is fired for the ResultSet being populated.

However, in the case where a fetch is made to get the displayName for the defaultValue of 1, a DataArrivedEvent does not seem to fire.

1) We were expecting a DataArrivedEvent to be fired for the fetching of the defaultValue displayName.

2) Is there a way to specify a defaultValue along with the defaultValue's display name to avoid this extra fetch to populate the missing display name for the default value?

Thanks

1. By design this does not happen. DataArrived is used to tell that the dataset needed for the PickList has arrived

2. Specify a single-entry valueMap

Comment

Code:
      <field name="calendar" foreignKey="calendar.id" canFilter="false" displayField="calendarName" type="text" defaultValue="1">
          <valueMap>
              <value ID="1">Default</value>
          </valueMap>
      </field>
      I didn't use a single-entry valueMap because this seems to make the selection list static, in other words, clicking the picker icon no longer populates the list, I only ever see the default value as a selection.

I've included the change I made above to try this, am I doing something wrong here?

Thanks
      Last edited by stonebranch2; 13 Jun 2014, 10:07. Reason: Added back defaultValue attribute, as it is still required.

Comment

Here, you're relying on the optionDataSource being chosen automatically due to the foreignKey declaration. You'll need to explicitly add the optionDataSource in this case since your intent in adding a valueMap cannot be guessed by the framework.

Note that presumably, in the actual application the valueMap will be added on the fly rather than statically defined in XML.

Comment

Yes, explicitly adding the optionDataSource was necessary. Thx

"Note that presumably, in the actual application the valueMap will be added on the fly rather than statically defined in XML."

> In the case where a new record is being created, we want the combo box to show "Default" (value 1) without doing a fetch for value 1's display name.
          Only if the user clicks the picker to select a different option, do we want a fetch to be done to re-populate the list with a full valueMap.

---

"1. By design this does not happen. DataArrived is used to tell that the dataset needed for the PickList has arrived"

>Is there any other handler that can be added for a display name fetch?

Comment

Is there any other handler that can be added for a display name fetch?
            No, no handler as such, although it can be detected because it would cause a ValueFormatter to be called if you had installed one.

Beyond the ValueFormatter use case, what would you do with this information?

Comment

Working...
            X