//     multiple:true,
            //     multipleAppearance:"picklist"
            //    }
            // },
            {name:"units", filterEditorType:"MultiComboBoxItem"},
            {name:"unitCost"}
        ]
    });
    As you can see, the design for the filterRow item is broken from the start and even more, once you start to select entries.
    It does work with the commented out MultiSelectItem, but what do you do in this case if this list gets to long, e.g. in case of a product list.
    Right now I have TextItem with iContains. With the current FormItemCriterionGetter I could build also a OR (contains "Value1"; contains "Value2") by splitting after a space, but now a customer asked for a clickable solution.

Click image for larger version  Name:	MultiComboBoxItem in filterRow.png Views:	1 Size:	19.8 KB ID:	256376

This might be related to this issue, where a similar problem exists when using MultiComboBoxItem as an editor.

Best regards
    Blama

There’s not enough room in the filter row for the MultiComboBoxItem interface. We’re not sure what you would expect to happen - vertical expansion maybe? That’s not a good UI and not something we would implement.

If you want something like a MultiComboBoxItem interface here, you should do it as a dialog launched from a FormItemIcon.

Comment

Hi Isomorphic,

I'd be fine with a MultiSelectItem-like appearance when closed.
      When open also MultiSelectItem-like appearance, but with a the possibility to filter the entries in a textbox. I'd imagine something like this, but this does also not work (yet):

Same sample:
      Code:
      isc.ListGrid.create({
          ID:"dsListGrid", 
          width: "50%",
          height: "100%",
          autoFetchData: true,
          canEdit: true,
          dataSource: "supplyItem",
          showFilterEditor: true,
          fields:[
              {name:"itemID"},
              {name:"itemName"},
              {name:"units", filterEditorType: "SelectItem", filterEditorProperties: {
                   multiple:true,
                   multipleAppearance:"picklist",
                   pickListProperties: { showFilterEditor: true,
                                         filterOnKeypress: true,
                                         fields:[{name:"units", filterEditorType: "TextItem" }]
                                       }
                  }
              },
              {name:"unitCost"}
          ]
      });
      Can this work? I'll be using it in SmartGWT 12.0p.

Best regards
      Blama

Comment

No, and you should see a warning that this is not supported which leads to a longer explanation in the docs. If you allow filtering of a long list you would have to search to find the currently checked entries, a very bad UE.

Comment

Hi Isomorphic,

if you are talking about unselecting selected entries, these could be either on top by default when opening or there could be some switch like in this sample named "Show selected only".
          IMHO this is better than a popUp. By better I mean "faster to use" / less clicks needed to change".
          It's definitely better than a very long (potentially 1000 records) list.

Can you explain why you see this as a bad UE?

Best regards
          Blama

Comment

I do see the warning you mention:
            SelectItem defined with multiple set to true, and showFilterEditor enabled on the pick-list. This combination of settings is not supported as it can lead to ambiguity if a user selects an item, then re-filters such that the item is no longer visible and attempts to modify the selection.
            I understand what you are saying by it. But isn't there some solution, like the ones I'm suggesting, that do not require a popup with own code for this?

Best regards
            Blama

Comment

We specifically stated that the UI you tried to create in your sample code would be a bad UE.

A different UI, such as separately displaying checked entries, is a tracked possible enhancement, but rarely asked for so far. It could be sponsored. It’s also possible to build this as a custom component.

Comment

Hi Isomorphic,

thanks. I'll try then first with a normal MultiSelectItem and see if any complaints come back w.r.t. to the list length.

Best regards
                Blama

Comment

Working...
                X