Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
Clear All

MS Excel-like "fill handle"

I'm trying to figure out how to implement a table based input form where each row corresponds to a record that needs to be created. We want to enable users to create records in bulk, and not one at a time, partly for the reason that in many cases the records are very nearly the same as each other so it makes sense to create them together.

One feature that would help would be a "fill handle" like what MS Excel and handsontable have where a user who wants to copy one value to other rows could drag the handle across other rows. It doesn't look like a ListGrid has this capability, but maybe I missed it. I did find copy/paste in a grid, but doesn't give me control over what can be copied where whereas a fill handle could allow me to prevent users from dragging across columns.

I don't think this is critical, I'm just brainstorming what might be useful for my users as I'm preparing mockups for my proposal.

One of my users has requested this feature so I figured I'd add a bit more commentary here.

This demo visually looks sortof close:
    https://www.smartclient.com/smartcli...izeIncrease=10

except that a pull handle doesn't appear (and I can't constraint to horizontal or vertical). Other than those, I'd guess that I could manage all the copying based on mouse events... Is this something I should be able to manage on my own with Smartclient 11 as-is?

Thanks.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Oct-02-2017 15-29-15.gif
Views:	74
Size:	83.3 KB
ID:	249441

Comment

Yes, we would expect this to be achievable using the existing drag events in the grid, and using APIs such as getCellCSSText() to create appropriate styling. You will want to return false to cancel the default actions of recordDrop, then perform the copy you have in mind, probably by setting editValues (see grid editing overview).

Comment

Working...
      X