Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
Clear All

List of supported browsers

Hi Isomorphic,

is there a list of supported browsers and the approx date until they are going to be supported, assuming I'm using current 6.0p (or 6.1p, once it gets released).
    I know that you basically say IE6+ and that you come from a Enterprise background, where outdated browsers are common, but I also remember reading that you stopped supporting e.g FF18. I also never had a problem here with you fixing problems, but anyway.

I'm asking because a potential new customer wants to know how long we are going to support old browsers because they had problems here in the past.
    So if they come to me with a problem I'll have to fix it or come to you in order to get a framework problem fixed.
    Is it safe to say that you support all browsers that did not reach their EOL?

Meaning:
    • Latest FF, Latest FF ESR (+all FF from the last two years, just to be sure)?
    • Latest GC (+all GC from the last two years, just to be sure)?
    • Latest Safari (+all Safari from the last two years, just to be sure)?
    • IE 10, IE 11, IE Edge all versions (on properly updated systems)
    Thank you & Best regards
    Blama

Supported browsers are in the release notes.

Your list is pretty close except we won't generally fix something that isn't reproducible in the latest Chrome.

Comment

Hi Isomorphic,

do you mean this link on this page?
      If so, this perhaps should be in the SmartGWT section as well. I additionally did not find such document in my SmartGWT 5.1 Power Download. The document in the download named release_notes.html redirects to the detailed changes page.

The document from the first link (which I assume will also apply to SmartGWT) is most likely not changed after initial release of a p-version, which makes it look funny and outdated, because as I assume the most current p-version (now 6.0p) will of course support the most current version of every browser, won't it? Like the adaption for the Chrome 56 change you made recently.

Then in general, these old answers of yours contradict each other and what's said in the 1st link in this post.

Again, I never had problems here, but I want to prevent sitting between the chairs, once my customer has a browser-related framework problem and wants me to take care of it.
      Of course I'll stick to your suggestion from one of the linked posts:
      Originally posted by Isomorphic View Post
      We will still accept bugs reproducible in older browsers, (particularly older versions of IE where upgrading may be more involved), but if prompting your customers to upgrade to the latest browser versions is an option we'd recommend this.
      What does this exactly mean (sorry, English language details)?
      Originally posted by Isomorphic View Post
      Your list is pretty close except we won't generally fix something that isn't reproducible in the latest Chrome.
      1. That a bug filed with a non-current Chrome is never valid
      2. That a bug filed with a non-current Chrome will not always be fixed
      Both interpretations would contradict the supported browsers list IMHO.

I'll definitely get it worked out with the customer what their requirements actually are (perhaps they are happy with IE11), but this is an important topic even if it were not for this customer IMHO.

Thank you & Best regards
      Blama

Comment

Sorry, as of more recent releases the supported browsers are now in the JavaDoc (BrowserSupport under "docs" package).

We won't generally fix something that isn't reproducible in the latest Chrome because that's a complete waste of time. Generally, people understand this and don't push for a fix when some specific Chrome version introduced a glitch that the next version corrected, since outdated versions fall to vanishingly low browser share within weeks. While a customer could insist upon a such a useless fix, if a customer repeatedly wasted our time with such things (to the detriment of all other customers), we'd decline to renew their support.

Reasonableness is, in reality, how all this works. We've never taken an unreasonable stance on fixing a version-specific bug, so perhaps postpone any discussion of nuances of different statements of browser support for a situation where you think we're actually being unreasonable. You've got an official statement of support in the docs and, as we point out, actual browser support advertised for *apps* rarely if ever hits the limits of browser support as offered by the framework.

Comment

Working...
        X